Stay up to date with what’s happening at The Purple Crayon Center.
Click here to sign up for our email newsletter!
Curious about what we've been up to? View our progress report.
Recent Press and Media
- April 22, 2013: Rivertowns Daily Voice Hastings’ Purple Crayon Raises Curtain On The Scene
- April 10, 2013: Rivertowns Daily Voice Songwriter Freedy Johnston To Play Hastings’ Purple Crayon
- April 01, 2013: Westchester Family Magazine Off the Beaten Path: A Wonderfully Different Celebration
- September 21, 2012: The Scarsdale Inquirer Afro Jersey brings punk-folk sound to Purple Crayon
- September 19, 2012: Scarsdale10583.com Edgemont’s Got Talent
- August 01, 2012: Rivertowns Daily Voice OpenCanvas Helps Launch Local Artists in Hastings
- July 27, 2012: Rivertowns Patch ‘OpenCanvas’ Launches for Creative People in Hastings
- June 01, 2012: The Scarsdale Inquirer Dancefloor Destroyer: DJ Shiftee bass drops into Purple Crayon dance party
- February 15, 2012: Rivertowns Patch Moms Who Rock Around Our Towns: Hastings’ Sarah Silbert Hinawi
- February 10, 2012: The Enterprise Solo Show in Hastings
- November 18, 2011: The Enterprise Praise singer mixes it up, strumming on an older banjo
- June 20, 2011: Westchester County Business Journal A sanctuary for small businesses, young minds
- June 13, 2011: Rivertowns Patch Shared Workspace, With No Pressure to Buy Coffee
- May 11, 2011: The Enterprise Couple Open Doors to Self Expression at Purple Crayon
- February 22, 2011: Rivertowns Patch The Purple Crayon: Helping Local Teens and Adults Link Passion to Success
- February 14, 2011: Interview on WHOH TV
Press Release Archive
- June 07, 2013: The First Two Years: 2011-2013 Progress Report
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- Live! Newsletter Spring 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- Live! Newsletter May 2011
- May 2011
- Live! Newsletter April 2011
- April 2011
- Feb/March 2011
- January 2011
"Battle of the Teen Bands was a lot of fun and all the bands did really well. What I liked about it was how constructive the judges were and how friendly all the bands were. There was a great feeling circulating throughout the room of people, be it performers or the audience, just happy to listen and support all different kinds of music. We were glad and appreciative that we got to be in the finals because it was an incredible night."
Nate Flaks, local musician and participant in Battle of the Teen Bands & open mic nights
“Holding our Master Juggler retreat for foundation executive directors at The Purple Crayon was just ideal. Only a half hour from New York City, our participants felt like they were truly at a retreat – away from it all – and the beautiful and inspiring space added a great deal to the experience. The facility offered everything we needed, from comfortable break-out space to nearby hikes to personal recommendations for great local caterers. Sarah was exceptionally helpful and responsive throughout the planning process. Our participants loved it, and so did we!"
Janice Simsohn Shaw, Association for Small Foundations
"When I work at home, I do laundry, cook dinner, receive deliveries, and surf Facebook. When I work at the coffee shop, I eat muffins and talk about how the writing is going. When I work at the Inc. I work. I write. I soak in the creative energy of the staff, the space, and other members seeking the same. (And I have people to help me figure out the printer/fax/copier/wifi). When my book is published it'll have 'brought to you by The Purple Crayon' on its spiritual spine. Sign up and come on in! You don't know how productive you can be until you do."
Patty Chang Anker, Blogger, Facing Forty Upside Down
“It was a pleasure and a treat working at The Purple Crayon”
"The Purple Crayon is the most beautiful space i've ever played in. Also, the sound is great and they treat you as family."
"I find I'm much more productive when i work at The Inc. - working at home it's easy to get consumed with household chores and other distractions. A coffee bar can be a pleasant place to work now and then, but is not a good place to take phone calls (imagine the whirring of the latte machine!) or meet clients. Plus, the shared workspace environment at The Inc. is congenial and creates a collaborative, welcoming atmosphere. I can invite clients and collaborators to meet me at The Inc. As an Inc. 50 member, i receive my mail there as well, so now everything I need is in one place."
“You U. helped me understand how different colleges can be from each other, and learn more about what I really want and care about.”
Hastings High School Sophomore
"Cheick Hamala's show at The Purple Crayon was a pure delight. His ngoni playing was a revelation. He and the band launched into one mesmerizing song after another. And he really engaged the audience with his charm and charisma, getting folks to dance and chatting with us after the show. We were also really impressed with the Purple Crayon's performace space. It's gorgeous and intimate, and the sound is wonderful. We plan to be regular visitors." - Don and Anjali Chen, Hastings Residents
"You’ve restored my faith in humanity.”
Open mic participant
“Great vibe—there’s a lot of fomenting stuff here”
"The space at The Purple Crayon is the perfect environment for respite, taking stock, and engaging in inspiring work. Our team thoroughly enjoyed the retreat we held there and is looking forward to going back!"
Craig Haen, Assistant Director of Clinical Services, ANDRUS
"Just a note to let you know what a fantastic evening it was to see Dar Williams in Hastings. As you know she is one of my favorites and I loved seeing her in such a wonderful and intimate location. The Purple Crayon was so nice-warm and relaxing and so perfect for that setting. I really enjoyed myself as did all the folks I came with-wishing you lots of success!"
Suzi Brunenavs, Dobbs Ferry Resident